Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Learning A Little More Each Day

Today my back has ached and burned all day. I put on a good front, to everyone but sometimes it hurts so bad I want to cry. When I got to my mother and father in law's house my mother in law Margaret made mexican chicken and it was so delicious. Not that it takes the pain away but it sure made me happy. My husband and I are blessed to have such wonderful parents who are always here for us even when we are at our lowest. I guess I haven't explained when I first found out I had fibro, I was 22 years old my mom and dad had invited me and my oldest son who was my only child at the time to go swimming at the Mulberry River. My sister and her husband and their two children were there as well as my brother and his child. It was a beautiful day and we were having a blast swimming and just hanging out in the sun. I had set my son who was around 18 months old down on a towel and I was about to sit down beside him. Then it hit me the sharpest pain that felt like it was going straight through my heart to my back. Everyone came running over and were trying to figure out what was wrong with me. I could barely talk because the pain was so bad. All I could say was get me to the hospital which was about 45 minutes away. So my mom and dad got me into there truck and rushed me to the hospital. I will never forget my dad holding my hand telling me to hold on that I was going to be ok. I kept looking at my son and I told them to call my husband who had went fishing with his dad and grandpa that day. When I made to the hospital of course they took my blood to do a test to see if I was on some type of drug. Then after the results came back negative they gave me a shot of morphine, well that didn't work. The pain was still terrible, so after 7 shots my husband told them not to give me anymore because it was working for one thing and come to find out I was allergic to morphine. I had an EKG done and MRI done that day. After about 4 hours the pain started easing and my doctor kept me over night for observations. The next day I had a terrible head ache from the morphine but my pain had gotten a lot better. I was released and went home to rest. My doctor called me later that day and told me that my EKG had shown that I had Mitral Valve Prolapse of the heart and she wanted me to come in for her to do more tests the next day. After all the testing, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and I was her youngest patient at the time who had it. This would be the first of many trips to the doctor and many new medications. Also, it would not be last time I had to be hospitalized....

3 comments:

  1. Ness,
    I love your blog. I hope it helps people to understand how to support and accept your condition. I'm very proud of you!! Keep on Keeping on. God is on your side.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to also check to see if you have rheumatoid arthritis. My wife has both fibro and RA. The same genetic marker for RA is for fibro. Also, there are studies that seem to link fibro/RA occurrences with low blood pressure. My wife also has extremely low blood pressure (sometimes so low nurses say she should be dead).

    ReplyDelete